Restore Your Smile with Natural Looking Tooth Colored Fillings from Dr. Kendrick in Midwest City, OK
February 17, 2015
How much metal is in your mouth? Dental fillings are necessary to repair cracked, broken, worn down, or decayed teeth. In the past, to treat a damaged tooth or cavity, dentists would remove the decayed area of your tooth and then use amalgam (silver) dental filling to restore the remaining portion. Today however, modern dentists like Dr. Kendrick, utilize healthier and more natural-looking metal-free tooth colored fillings to restore damaged or decaying teeth. If you still have a mouthful of metal, it’s time to upgrade your dental restorations. Make a restorative dentistry appointment with Dr. Kendrick for your new tooth colored fillings today. Midwest Dental Center delivers quality care daily throughout Midwest City, OK, Del City, Oklahoma City, Choctaw, and the surrounding communities.
What Are Tooth Colored Fillings?
A tooth colored filling is made of naturally colored composite plastic and glass. Tooth colored fillings are placed in layers and are instantly cemented with special curing lights, and then gently polished to prevent staining and wear.
Why Are Tooth Colored Fillings Becoming So Popular?
Tooth colored fillings are becoming the preferred restorative material of both dentists and patients for several reasons, including:
- Esthetics: Metal or silver fillings stand out from your natural tooth enamel and can cause cosmetic concerns.
- Less Invasive: Metal fillings require the destruction of more of your natural tooth structure, where as tooth colored fillings leave more of your healthy tooth structure in place.
- Discoloration: Metal fillings can turn your remaining tooth structure grey.
- Fracturing: Metal dental fillings expand and contract more than tooth colored composite material which leads to a higher incidence of cracks and fractures over time.
- Long Term Health: In addition to patients who experience allergic reactions to metals, recent studies have raised health concerns over the long term effects of amalgam material in patients. Dental amalgam is made up of about 50% mercury, a known toxin. Prolonged mercury exposure has been associated with brain and central nervous system diseases and other serious medical conditions.
For over 150 years dentists relied upon dental amalgam exclusively. They believed metal restorations created “stronger teeth.” However, metal actually contributes to further tooth damage by allowing additional decay and fracturing to occur. Tooth colored fillings have the ability to closely mimic your natural teeth in both form and function. They also bond with your natural tooth material to support the remaining structure and prevent breakage and structural changes. Replace your old metal fillings to improve and protect your dental and overall health today. Make an appointment with Dr. Kendrick for new tooth colored fillings. Midwest Dental Center is the leading restorative dentistry of Midwest City, OK, Del City, Oklahoma City, Choctaw, and the neighboring communities.
No Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.